The ultimate guide to switching from AT&T to Mint Mobile
So you’re ready to kick AT&T to the curb and start saving with Mint Mobile. We certainly can’t wait to have you join the Mint fam, so we put together this quick guide that covers the “why” and “how” for switching carriers from AT&T to Mint Mobile (because we’ve already determined that the “who, what and when” are you, switching to Mint and ASAP).
Why switch from AT&T to Mint Mobile?
Well, you’ve had AT&T service, and you’re reading this blog, so it’s safe to assume you’re looking to change things up. Can’t say we’re surprised. But why go with Mint? Let us count the ways. Or at least organize them in a convenient bulleted list. Once you truly compare Mint Mobile vs AT&T, we’re confident you’ll want to make the switch.
- First thing’s first, how’s that AT&T bill? Now consider that Mint Mobile’s new customer plans start at $15/month,* and you can get a single line of our Unlimited data plan for just $30/month.**
- Mint Mobile runs on the T-Mobile 5G Network, the nation’s largest 5G network.† Our coverage map shows over 95% of Americans are covered by T-Mobile’s 5G service, and over 99% of Americans are at least covered by T-Mobile’s 4G LTE.
No Monthly Bills
- Say bye-bye to monthly bills. Mint Mobile offers service in bulk, meaning you purchase 3, 6, or 12 months of service at a time
Exceptional Customer Service
- You hope you won’t need customer service very often, but when you do, you want it to be great. Mint Mobile’s Care Team has an average hold time under 90 seconds. Yeah, that’s shorter than most commercial breaks. And over 95% of Mint subscribers who call our Care Team and respond to our post-call survey have given them a “Highly Satisfied” ranking. ‡
Flexible Family Plan Options
- Our family plan allows you to manage 2 – 5 lines of service, each with their own data bucket, giving you the flexibility to pay for just the data you need.
How do I switch from AT&T to Mint Mobile?
Whether you’re wanting to make a clean break from AT&T (new phone, new number and maybe some new kicks with the money you save) or you want to keep your current phone and number (but maybe still new kicks because why not), switching to Mint Mobile is even easier than you think.
1.) Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) or get a new one
- If you want to bring your own phone to Mint Mobile, you just gotta make sure it’s paid off, unlocked and compatible with our network. We’ve got a whole compatibility checker thingy that can help
- If you want to get a new phone, either because your current one isn’t compatible with our network or you’re just in the mood for an upgrade, we offer all the latest & greatest smartphones with great deals when you bundle them with a Mint Mobile phone plan
2.) Bring your phone number or get a new one
- If you want to bring your phone number with you (to avoid having to send a “this is my new number” text to everyone in your contact list), you can easily transfer your current number to Mint Mobile from AT&T during the activation process.
- Make sure your AT&T account is still active until the number transfers over to Mint. If you cancel your AT&T account early, you could lose the number forever
- Request a Number Transfer PIN from AT&T via any of the following options:
- Call *PORT from your phone to have a Number Transfer PIN texted to you
- Request via the myAT&T app
- Request online through your myAT&T profile
- If you want a new phone number, then all you need to do is provide us with your home ZIP code at activation so we can give you a proper local number
3.) Choose your plan
- Browse our deals if you’re looking for a new phone and a phone plan, or just check out our new customer offer if you’re planning to bring your phone over from AT&T. It’s all done here on the website, because we’re able to help save you money by not having our own brick & mortar retail stores.
4.) Download the Mint Mobile app and activate your plan
- We made it super easy to make the switch with the Mint Mobile app. Once you have your Mint Mobile SIM kit in hand, all you gotta do is download the app from the App Store or Google Play and follow the instructions. With the app you can choose to bring your number over from AT&T or get a new one, create your Mint Mobile account and build your Mint Family if you’re bringing over multiple lines.
Also, once you’ve officially joined the movemint, the app will allow you to monitor your data usage, make any plan changes, and help you earn Mint Credit by rescuing other friends from AT&T via our Refer a Friend program.
We also offer Activation Support from our Mintech Advisors. With Activation Support, you’ll receive full assistance activating your plan(s) and getting your number transferred over from AT&T. We’ll even jump on the phone with you to call AT&T and let them know you’re canceling your service with them.
What about my contract with AT&T?
If you’re still locked in a contract with AT&T, you may want to wait it out to avoid paying an early termination fee. We get it, we’re all about saving money, too. But if the early termination fee is less than what you’ll end up paying overtime by sticking with AT&T, then maybe it’s time to cut and run now. This may also include paying off the balance on your phone so you can get it unlocked, if you’re planning to bring it to Mint Mobile. And if your contract is almost up, you should know our SIM cards have a 45-day shelf life. This means you can purchase a Mint Mobile plan now, and wait up to 45 days to activate it.
Congratulations, you’ve now completed Switching from AT&T to Mint Mobile 101. There is no final exam, and we don’t have a certificate to give you or anything like that, but we do have savings. You’ve definitely earned those savings.
* New activation & upfront payment for 3-month plan req’d. Taxes & fees extra. Addt’l restrictions apply. See terms.
** New activation & upfront payment for 3-month plan req’d. Taxes & fees extra. Addt’l restrictions apply. Unlimited customers using >35GB/mo will experience lower speeds. Videos stream at ~480p. See terms.
† 5G access req’s capable device & SIM w/in appropriate coverage area. Actual availability, speed & coverage may vary.
‡ As of June 2022.